Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Flick Hair Studio

One of the cardinal rules of moving to a new place: you can't call it home until you've found a good hair stylist. So coming back to Atlanta after eight months abroad, I was distraught to find that Allison, my favorite stylist at Salon Red in Decatur, had moved cross country in search of bigger and better things. Like after any significant breakup, I went through a string of rebounds before finally finding another match. Coincedentally, the 'one' happened to be having an amazing discount on Groupon, and that is story of how I ended up at Flick Hair Studio in Edgewood with a cut and highlights for just $50 (!!!).

Judging by the number of weeks ahead I had to book my appointment, it looks like I'm not the only one with my eyes on Flick. But by the time the big date (I mean, day) came, I was ready for a change. I sat down in their urban-chic salon with my stylist, Abbi, and she intently listened to me blabber on about my sordid hair history. I'm pretty sure I even mentioned my incredibly unfortunate 6th grade yearbook photo in which I apparently thought frizzy pigtails were the new hot trend (they weren't). And I thought they would complement the braces and glasses thing I already had going on (they didn't). To her credit, she at least pretended to empathize and I told her to do whatever she wanted with my hair, just no bobs and no neon.

A couple of hours later, I found five inches of blond hair on the floor and shorter, blonder hair in the mirror. I loved it! I've never had my hair this short and while I do miss having long hair, it was definitely a needed change. Abbi was wonderful and entertaining, we talked the entire time and only once did she try to get me to buy products I can't afford. Plus she offered me a Diet Coke as I waited for my highlights to dry--girl knew the way to my heart.

Since I've never been able to recreate Abbi's perfect blow dry and style, I think I'll let my hair grow out a few more inches to require a little less effort. But it's nice to know that once again, I've found the real deal--attentive, fun, and talented, Abbi and Flick are the way to go. Please do not leave town, I'm begging you.

1 comment:

  1. love this one!!! so cute and gave me a very good chuckle!!! to bad i'm so attached to my horribly long hair...
    abbi would be horrified by the split ends

    ReplyDelete